Answers to frequently asked questions
- Jackie and Bill took over the guest house in May 2010. In January 2010 the guest house was given a FOUR STAR grading and also a SILVER AWARD for quality in tourism by Visit Britain. Following inspections in January 2007 and May 2009 by an Isle of Wight Council Environmental Health Officer, a Food Hygiene Rating of Five Stars was given.
- In March 2008 we were awarded an Island Smoke Free Award by the Island's Healthy Business Partnership. It is a criminal offence to smoke inside the building and we kindly ask guests not to smoke in or on the grounds of the Birkdale.
- Disability suitability. There are 4 steps leading into the Guest House. Wheelchair access is therefore difficult. Once in the building there are no steps on the ground floor. The dining room tables are spaced well apart for easy access. For further details on accessibility please click on the link above.
- There are sufficient car parking spaces for all guests with easy access from the road to the parking.
- We can organise the car ferry for you. The closest crossing to us is Portsmouth to Fishbourne.
- There is a small reference library about tourist attractions on the island which may help you to plan your visits. The Tourist Information shop is within a short walking distance.
- We have a guest lounge available with wide screen TV and video. We also have a selection of books, jigsaw puzzles and games available on request.
- Incoming guests are welcome from 4pm and we ask leaving guests to vacate their rooms by 10am.
- The quests enjoy views of the hills around Shanklin.
- For guests booking on a B&B basis we can confirm that there are many and varied restaurants and inns within a few minutes walk of the guest house.
- Our aim is to ensure you have a comfortable and relaxed holiday. When you tell us of problems we will deal with them immediately. If you are happy, so are we!
- Wireless internet access is available in the Guest House.
Some places to go:
- Osborne House - The island home of Queen Victoria, Prince Albert and their family.
- Isle of Wight Steam Railway. Go back in time with a ride on a steam train and visit the museum.
- Sandown Zoo where 'Tiger Island' is filmed. Rare species preservation of Tigers and Lemurs.
- Calbourne Water Mill. A working water mill with surrounding gardens.
- Waltzing Waters. An indoor show of water music and light.
- Arreton Manor and Gardens. A Beautiful Manor House with adjacent barns that include a shop, pub, and interesting old exhibits.
- Butterfly World
- Isle of Wight Pearl. A fantastic selection of pearl jewellery to buy.
- Several golf courses,
- Great sea fishing and many many many more
Comments in our guest book :-
As always first class. Well done! - 19/07/09 - K&R
Thank you for a lovely stay. Service very friendly & food very yummy!. Lovely room too:-) - 07/08/09 - K&J
An enjoyable few days and great accommodation! Fantastic hotel with friendly owners. Definately going to come back and stay here! - 23/08/09 - D&K
Birkdale is a very special place that has really enhanced our holiday in the UK. We really look forward to returning in the not too distant future. - 09/09/09 - C&B
Lovely homely atmosphere and good food. - 03/11/09 - J&J
To check out further comments - go to Trip Advisor - you can use the tab on our home page!